Pages

Monday, January 25, 2010

Dubai Marathon Winner Pukes while running - Still declared Winner - New Mashable
















2010 Dubai Marathon was controversial but the controversy is not much publicized. In the women's race, Ethiopia's Mamitu Daska pipped compatriot Aberu Shewaye to triumph in a time of 2:24.18. Kenya's Helena Kirop was third. The reason I say controversial is because as you can plainly see she was vomitting heavily at the finish line and had to be carried away by stretcher after the finish. Yet somehow she is still being declared the winner. It makes no sense to me. 


I always thought the rules were hard and fast when it came to this type of stuff. If you puke during competitive eating or marathoning you are disqualified.    The only thing I can come up with is that the judges are saying she crossed the finish line before the puke hit the ground?   I don’t know.  That seems mighty generous.   I always thought a puke became official the second it started leaking out your mouth.   Therefore  I think even the most generous  judge would declare it as disqualification from the race. As she officially puked before she broke the tape, there must be a disqualification but there was not.